Sources for Building History
- Illustrated guide to researching historic buildings in the British
Isles. Includes maps and gazetteers for locating particular
buildings, image galleries and indexes, and help on dating antique
and ancient constructions.
DiCamillo Companion to British and Irish Country
Houses, The - Online database of country
houses built in Britain and Ireland from circa 1500 to 1945,
standing or demolished.
Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings, The
(SPAB) - Provides education on the repair
of old buildings, with courses ranging from one day to nine months.
Also offers advice and carries out campaigns.
Historic Houses Association
- Offers visitor lists of houses including those used as film
Landmark Trust -
Independent U.K. building preservation charity rescuing worthwhile
historic buildings from neglect, then restoring them and renting
them out to vacationers.
Bath Preservation Trust - Founded in 1934
with the object of protecting the city's unique architectural
Friends of Strawberry Hill - Charity
dedicated to the preservation and restoration of Horace Walpole's
'little Gothic castle.
Brookwood Cemetery Society, The
- Dedicated to the preservation, history, and appreciation of the
Masonry Conservation Research Group (MCRG)
- Multidisciplinary team with an international reputation in the
field of masonry conservation focusing their research on the decay
and cleaning of building materials.
Ulster Architectural Heritage Society
- Promotes the appreciation and conservation of architecture in the
nine counties of Ulster.
Swannington Heritage Trust - Village trust
maintaining and restoring historical sites and collecting family
history for the village of Swannington in Leicestershire.
Castles of Scotland Preservation Trust
- Established to promote and encourage the protection and
preservation of Scotland's architectural heritage and to restore as
much of it as possible.
Industrial Buildings Preservation Trust
- Working to preserve industrial buildings of particular historic,
architectural, and constructional interest in England and Wales.
General Picton Memorial Appeal Fund, The
- Seeking to rescue and preserve Iscoed House, the home of General
Sir Thomas Picton, located in the parish of St. Ishmaels at
Ferryside near Carmarthen.
Capel - Devoted to the
preservation of Welsh chapel buildings.
Whittington Castle Preservation Trust
- Rural community in North Shropshire that wishes to buy the castle
in the centre of the village and find a viable and sustainable use